Microfiber leather is known in the synthetic leather industry as one of the quality products when it comes to PU leather. In this article, we’ll talk about microfiber leather, what makes it different from real leather material, and how you can care for it properly.
What is microfiber leather?
Microfiber leather is a type of synthetic leather made from microfiber non-woven fabric that is coated with polyurethane (PU) resin to mimic the feel and look of real leather. Microfiber leather is considered the highest-quality alternative to real leather and even better than most faux leather materials.
The structure of microfiber leather is similar to how genuine leather would look and this is because of the fine fiber base cloth. This type of artificial leather does not feel or smell like real leather, but its durability is almost the same.
Is microfiber better than leather?
If you’re wondering whether microfiber leather is better than real leather, the answer depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a leather item that is durable and feels and look premium, real leather will always be better than synthetic. However, just expect that it will cost more than the synthetic alternatives to leather.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a more affordable leather item that has better color fastness, then microfiber leather is the better option. PU leather has been in the market for a long time and manufacturers are finding more ways to make it very similar to full-grain leather in terms of look and durability without costing as much.
Advantages and disadvantages
Just like other leather materials, there are pros and cons to this type of material. Thinking of trying out microfiber leather? Here are some of the things you should know about it:
- Microfiber leather is designed to be more alkaline resistant compared to other PU leather.
- It has better color fastness and texture.
- It’s abrasion and acid resistant so it doesn’t peel off easily.
- It’s considered to be affordable, eco-friendly, and vegan since it doesn’t use real animal skin.
- It’s breathable similar to genuine leather.
- This type of PU leather is washable, anti-odor, and antibacterial.
- Microfiber leather is made with PU which is not easily biodegradable.
- It doesn’t feel or smell like real leather.
- It is produced in bulk unlike real leather hence, the cheaper price.
How to clean microfiber leather couch
Microfiber leather is favored in upholstered furniture because of its durability and breathability. It’s also easy to clean since it’s designed to repel stains and surface discoloration. Here’s how you can clean a microfiber leather couch:
Using a mild soap solution
The mild soap cleaning solution is the most versatile when it comes to cleaning all types of leather surfaces– real or faux. This method is easy to do and you can find the materials at home, so you don’t need to spend more than necessary.
Things you will need:
- Mild soap
- Lukewarm water
- Plastic container
- Microfiber cloth
- Soft-bristled brush (optional)
- Vacuum your microfiber leather couch once in around 2 weeks to 1 month to avoid any dust build-up. This also makes the cleaning process much easier since there isn’t any loose dirt or food crumbs.
- Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water with 1 tablespoon of mild soap to make foamy soap suds.
- Use a soft cloth to rub the surface of the couch gently using the soap suds. Make sure to wring the cloth out before using it to prevent excess moisture on the leather.
- Wipe the entire surface. You can also use a soft-bristled brush if there are tough stains.
- Use another clean and dry rag to dry the entire surface. Let it dry completely before using it again.
Tips and extra information:
- You can sprinkle baking soda on the surface of your microfiber couch to remove any bad odors and stubborn stains if you don’t want to get it wet. Just leave it for a few hours and vacuum the baking soda after.
- You can use gentle baby wipes to wipe the surface of a microfiber couch as long as it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals.
How to care for a microfiber leather sofa
It’s easy to maintain and care for a microfiber leather sofa. Not only will it make it look brand new every time, but it will also help in making it last longer. Some tips on taking care of a microfiber leather sofa include:
- Use a fabric spray protector as soon as you get your hands on that new microfiber furniture to prevent it from any type of stains.
- Check the manufacturer’s tag on your microfiber sofa to know the proper way to clean the furniture without damaging it.
- Make sure to clean your microfiber sofa regularly using a dry soft cloth or a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment.
- Only use lint-free towels when wiping down the surface of your sofa.
- Avoid using cleaning products that contain harsh chemicals as this can damage the PU resin coating of the sofa.
- Don’t display your microfiber sofa under direct sunlight or direct heat.
Even though microfiber leather is made from synthetic material, it’s still a pretty good investment if you want a vegan option that is more affordable. The manufacturers of this type of artificial leather are finding more ways to make it appear as close as it can to genuine leather. So it’s up to you if you prefer owning real leather or if you want to explore leather alternatives.
Is microfiber leather real leather?
No, microfiber leather is not real leather. It is a type of synthetic leather made from a fine base cloth with a polyurethane resin finish to make it appear like genuine leather. It is also considered the higher-quality PU leather that you can purchase because of its durability, color fastness, and other advantages.
Does microfiber leather peel?
Microfiber leather does not peel as easily as other faux leather materials and that’s why it’s considered a good quality artificial leather. This is because of the premium quality materials used to make it such as PU resin and non-woven fabric. It’s also designed to be as durable as genuine leather so you can expect that it won’t be peeling off anytime soon.
Is microfiber leather waterproof?
Yes, microfiber leather is waterproof and this is because of the PU resin used on the surface of the material. PU is a type of plastic often used on faux leather items to add that layer of protection to the material. The PU resin coating will protect the base cloth from getting stained and wet by liquid.
Is microfiber leather durable?
Microfiber is considered to be one of the most durable types of faux leather on the market today. Not only is it designed to look like real leather, but it also has similar features such as durability and breathability. It’s also abrasion and aging-resistant, so a lot of people are considering it almost better than real leather.
Is microfiber leather eco-friendly?
People consider microfiber leather eco-friendly since it doesn’t use real animal skin. For vegans and other people who are against using real animal skin as a byproduct or coproduct, then this type of faux leather is an excellent choice. However, you have to take into account that materials made from plastic are not biodegradable, so responsible disposal is necessary.
Is microfiber leather vegan?
Yes, microfiber leather is vegan since it doesn’t use real animal hide in its manufacturing process. Instead of real leather, it uses an extremely fine base cloth as a substitute for leather fibers. A lot of vegans are promoting the production of vegan leather for this purpose.
Does microfiber leather stretch?
Microfiber leather can stretch to a certain degree and this also helps in its durability and recovery. However, since it’s made from plastic, it doesn’t really stretch as much as you’d expect it to and it doesn’t really stretch like the traditional upper leather.
How long does microfiber leather last?
Microfiber leather can last around 3-5 years. You can often see this type of material on shoe leather, bags, garments, and car seats. Its longevity will also depend on how often you use the item and how well you take care of it. If you maintain your microfiber leather items properly using the right methods, then it may last you longer than expected.
Is faux leather or microfiber leather cheaper?
Faux or microfiber leather is cheaper than real leather since they are often produced in bulk and not made from animal hide which can be expensive and hard to come by. However, compared to other PU leather, microfiber leather is more expensive and that’s why not a lot of manufacturers use it even though it’s top-quality alternative leather.
Is microfiber leather breathable?
Yes, microfiber leather is breathable. It is marketed not only as breathable but also washable and antibacterial. That’s why a lot of sports footwear is made from microfiber leather. Since it’s designed to look and function like genuine leather, you can expect that it also has its breathable feature.